Re: Time in games and multimedia

On 01-May-98 Adrian Ratnapala wrote:
> On Fri, 1 May 1998, root of all evil wrote:
>

>> Hi All,
>>

>> Nescessity
>>

>> Animations must be timed in the strong way.
>> That is,  independently of the frame rate.
>
>> Implement
>>
>> I made a very small librairy in C that have the self explaining
>> functions:
>>   - AddCountDownCall(delay_in_millisec, function_to_call)
>>   - RemoveCountDown(ID_returned_by the_previous_call)
>>   - CheckCountDown()
> Acutally not quite.  We need a more elaborate C API anyway for things like
> alarms, system signals and IO.  This would be the "low level (i.e non
> GUI)" event system.  So All those three calls would have their equivilent
> in an event oriented context.
>
> In such a system, alarm events would be checked possible on the
> receipt of a signal like SIGALRM and freinds, or appon a call
> to the equivilent of CheckCountDown().

I have begun to implement such a mechanism in my Threads++ library (the version
is not yet on the CVS tree I think, but it's almost ready on my hard disk).
More precisely, it enables you to launch a specific thread that will be sent a
SIGALRM signal later. I could also add the above features, which would be a
slight specialization...

>>   Well source code in C for the alarms are on my hard disk for now.
>>   Tell me if you want them.
>>   Maybe GSDK need a General Section.
> YES.

Yep, that's what penguinplay is for. Why don't you use anymore the
graphics/sound, etc... mailing lists anymore for specific topics?

This list should be used only for general topics IMHO.

           Stephane Peter - ESSI 2
       French Computer Science Student
    e-mail: Stephane.Peter@linux-france.com
   IRC: MEGASTeP   http://www.essi.fr/~speter/
linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux