Re: Suggesstion

On Mon, 9 Nov 1998, Xavier Plasencia wrote:

>Not a lot of time of effort is spent on devloping API's for Installing a
>product.

Which is good. We have RPM and DEB already, which do everything that could
be needed, except for showing stupid 'splash-screens' while installing.

>One thing that would be nice if a Game developer wrote one install
>script.

<snip>

Hmm, in RPM you can have scripts run 'postinstall', which means the script
is run when RPM has copied the files and set permissions. _That's_ the
place for custom install-scripts.

>Althought RPM's do a nice job of finding depencincies and installing the
>programs to the right directories, they do not install the stubs for the
>user
>to lauch the program.  Typically the user must create the programs path
>in their own WM config file.

Just add a small script to the RPM-file. Simple. Check up on
http://www.rpm.org for a list of what you can/can't do with RPM. It takes
30min to figure out how it works and smash together a simple RPM
for a small project... :-)

>I THINK that if are goals are to promote professional developers to
>develop Games in LINUX we have to provide them with tools that will
>make there product look profesional.

I'd rather go for a reliable but ugly installation compared to a lot of
bells'n'whistles but unreliable operation. You install the software only
once, but if it is unreliably installed you pay for the fancy installation
every time you run the game.

  Jan 'Chakie' Ekholm   |  CS at Åbo Akademi University, Turku, Finland
 Linux Inside since '94 |      chakie@infa.abo.fi, jekholm@abo.fi