Re: File Access: cache-on-HDD, more

On Wed, 18 Nov 1998, Adrian Ratnapala wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, Nicholas Lee wrote:

> Oops.  Not HDD cached in RAM, I mean CD cached in HDD. (Which
> the kernel may cache in RAM as it sees fit).  I suspect such
> issues might be better dealt with at the appliction, than PPlay
> level, but I am not sure.

Hmm, even then you can still let the kernal handle the caching (thru
mmaps) in most cases, and then setup some sort of hints methodology for
developers to use if it's a CD or anything 'particular' slow at access.

Nicholas

--
      "I reserve the right to contradict myself"
Nicholas Lee (Li Peng Ming)  n.j.lee at statslab.cam.ac in uk