Date: Mon, 5 Oct 1998 07:18:06 -0700
From: Sam Lantinga <slouken@devolution.com>
Subject: Re: [SDL] Why using resources by file names?

> Well, I agree that SDL should be kept as light-weight as possible, but
> as Sam said, loading BMPs and WAVs helps people (like me) who don't
> want to muck around with writing their own loaders, and knowing the
> internals of the SDL media formats.  Personally, I'd like to see
> something that can be dropped into SDL that will load arbitrary files
> from other files (Perhaps using a callback function to handle the
> nitty-gritty of file encryption/compression), but I don't have the
> talent to write it myself.  It's a catch-22.

It is a catch-22, and this sort of thing is a perfect candidate for the
examples and demos archive. :)

PenguinPlay, http://sunsite.auc.dk/penguinplay/, is trying to be a general
game development platform, much more high level than SDL, but they are
trying to do things like create general file loading routines and so forth.
They are a work in progress, so as far as I know they don't have any usable
code yet, but I'll CC this to the PenguinPlay list and let them comment. :)

> >> If people really want fancy compressed formats, they could create a pipe
> >> and a thread to feed it. (or would this be too inefficient?)
> > That is a good idea, covering all needs. On the other hand, as far as
> > I know, it would not work on Windows. So your code would no longer be
> > portable.

> I really don't understand why it wouldn't work on Windows.  I mean, WAV
> and BMP files are first and foremost data files, and should be readable
> by FREAD and such.

I think he was referring to the use of a thread as a general data source,
and yes, this can be done with any OS that has a decent level of thread
support.  You could do this on all of Linux/Win32/BeOS, but you'd still
have the problem of not being able to seek within the datastream, unless
you send a "seek" message to the thread and let it sort out the details.
It would also allow you to do "asynchronous" I/O, in which you can ask it
to read large files from disk and continue, say, data structure initialization.
It's an interesting idea. :)

See ya!
	-Sam Lantinga				(slouken@devolution.com)

--