Directory

Ok, I've finished Directory some more. The interface has changed a little.

GetDir(), GetFile() and GetEntry() are implemented. Works just like
SearchDir(), searchFile() and SearchEntry(), except that only the Directory
for which they are called is searched, and they take "const char* name"
instead of "const URLInfo& URL". There are two overloads of each, one that
takes a string and a length, and one that take just a string. The one that
takes just a string is only one line (ie, it gets inlined). What it does is
to calls strlen(), then call the overload of itself that takes both a string
and a length.

If a file, dir or entry, respectively, exists in the Directory that matches
the passed in name, a pointer to that file, dir or entry is returned.
Otherwise 0 (NULL) is returned.

The situation is exactly the same for SearchFile(), SearchDir() and
SearchEntry(), except that what is taken is a "const URLInfo&", and there is
only one overload of each. All the SearchXxx and GetXxx methods uses
iteration rather than recursion.

The Directory class also contains these pure virtual methods:

virtual ppTimeT GetCTime() const throw() = 0;
virtual ppTimeT GetMTime() const throw() = 0;
virtual pp32 GetAttribs()  const throw() = 0;
virtual bool SetAttribs (pp32 Attr) throw() = 0;
virtual ppfFSType GetFSType() const throw() = 0;
virtual VFSInterface* GetVFSInterface() const throw() = 0;

These are left exactly the same as in ppf_Directory. GetParent() and
GetName() also function and look the same way.

A place where I changed something is with IsEmpty(). IsEmpty() returns true
only if the Directory objects contains no entries at all. IsPseudoEmpty() in
Directory works like IsEmpty() in ppf_Directory (Is IsEmptyRecursive()
better?). I realize this will make some code need to change, but just
comment out the IsEmpty() and the compiler should pointer out all the places
in which this is the case.

I think the new names for IsEmpty() and IsPseudoEmpty() portrays somewhat
better what exactly is going on. IsPseudoEmpty() clearly tells people that
even if it returns true, things are only "kind of empty".

On another note, how often is this method called? It uses recursion, which
is a little ineffecient. I could implement it using a stack, and thereby
remove the recursion, but if its almost never called anyway, its not worth
the trouble (and the potential for a bad_alloc from the array that needs to
be allocated). Its just that I forsee that IsPseudoEmpty() can get to be
called ALOT of times if you happen to call it for the top directory, and you
have many directories, REALLY alot (well, ok, it would probably pretty
quickly find a file somewhere and return, but still).

I remove the GetFirstEntry() and ContainsDir(). I've implemented an external
iterator to replace GetFirstEntry(). That's what its used for, rigth,
iteration over all the entries? (it wouldn't work anyway, now that files and
dirs are seperate). ContainsDir() was obsoleted by the combination of
storing files and dirs apart, and GetDir() (ie, simply call getDir() with
the name of the Dir you're looking for, and if it returns non-zero, it
exists in the Directory).

The two overloads of RemoveFile() look and function the same way they did in
ppf_Directory. The two overloads of Add() that take either a Directory
pointer or a File pointer has been supplemented by a overload that takes a
DirEntry().

SetParent() has been changed so that its single Directory pointer parameter
cannot be 0. The functionality previously given by calling SetParent() has
been moved into MakeTopMostDir(). The method IsTopMostDir() has been added.
GetParent() remains unchanged and returns 0 for a top-most dir. Calling
SetParent(0) will work in release builds, but will otherwise result in an
assertion (ie, no nasty surprises).

Should Directory store the actual Directories and Files, or just pointers to
them? I'm doing pointers rigth now.

I haven't got to serializing yet. I think it would perhaps be a good idea to
define virtual methods SerializeFrom(FILE*) and SerializeTo(FILE*) in
Directory... ? Else we have all serializing functionality stuck in Misc
(which isn't very intuitive), and we can't expand upon it in derivatives of
Directory.

Oh yeah, as soon as you get those headers done, I need them. Rigth now I'll
have to hack the headers somewhat to get them to accept my compiler (those
"#error you need POSIX" are pretty annoying") and to get it to include
"ppfWin32PosixImpl.h".

I remember you talking about creating a wrapper that only included the
features we need, so that we could encapsulate platform-specific directory
handling code. I think this is *definately* the way to go. For now
ppfWin32PosixImpl.h will have to do, though.

That's more or less it.