Re: [pygame] Philosophy of Educational Games

I've thought about this subject a lot recently.  The artificiality is
indeed something that needs to be avoided.  I think kids see anything that
is obviously trying to teach them to learn as bad.

I'll take math games as an example.

Games where you actually see the numbers printed out immediately look like
educational games to kids.  The Number Munchers game you describe seems
like gussied-up flash cards.  I think a better approach for games would be
to teach the abstract concepts, and not actually write out the numbers.

You could present the user with a problem, like needing to cross a gap
5 tiles long, they could then collect bricks, and bricks of the same color
could be attached.  Somewhere on the level would be a set of 3 red bricks,
and elsewhere would be 2 red bricks.  The user would have to figure out
that they need to put them together to cross the gap.

Or you could have a puzzle game where you need to construct a Rube
Goldberg machine, and the user decides how many teeth they want to put on
a gear, which could be used to teach multiplication.

For division or fractions, you could have a lumines-type game where you
give the user blocks made up of smaller segments, and the user can
eliminate segments before dropping them down.  Different blocks could have
different sized segments, and the user is challenged to create wholes.
This could either be arcade-style or puzzle-style like sokoban.

Just some random ideas,

-sjbrown