Re: [pygame] varying sound playback rate

Miriam,

To crack that nut using Pygame software in real-time
as you described, you'd have to use a steam roller.

I suggest using a simple brute-force less-than-perfect
technique to solve this problem: Open up the original
sound file in an editor and change its speed. Then,
save the changed sound as a different file. Repeat ~20
times, incrementally changing the speed across the
range of speeds that you need. In your Pygame program,
load all of the sounds at the beginning of the
program. In your game, play the one that is closest to
the speed that you need. If this idea isn't good
enough for your purpose, I won't be offended.

Jason Marshall

--- Miriam English <mim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm new here. I've looked thru the archives, the
> pygame documentation,
> the site and tutorials, and I've tried experimenting
> myself, but I can't
> find a way to dynamically alter the rate of sound
> playback in pygame.
>
> For example, if I wanted to play a sound file back
> thru 4 different
> channels at 4 different rates to form a chord... is
> it possible?
>
> Another example: playing the sound of a train
> "chuffing" first at a low
> speed then at progressively higher rates to sound
> like it is pulling
> away from a station... is that possible in pygame?
>
> I know that it is possible to use numeric to read a
> sound into an array
> then manipulate it to create different sounds, but
> this seems a bit like
> using a steamroller to crack a walnut. I've used
> other applications
> where simply setting a different play rate is
> sufficient. This is
> effectively what all "tracker" music programs do.
> Can pygame do this?
>
> Thanks in advance for any info.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> 	- Miriam