Re: [pygame] Python and Speed

Learn to write C. The best software is written as a hybrid of multiple technologies, each serving a different purpose. Python's strengths are rapid development and succint, easy to read code. C's strengths are flexibility and machine optimization. MMX and SSE assembly code are for maximum performance in core mathematical routines.

Bruce Lee said that a true practitioner must be like the water - able to adapt to any attacker's style and defend in the most effective manner. Since Python will never be as fast as C, you must learn C in order to become a better programmer. Don't expect anyone to change the laws of the universe for you.

Richard

Ian Mallett wrote:
-I think it has been thoroughly established that Python cannot be as fast as C. -As far as algorithms go, intelligence is better, but I hold by using vastly simpler ones to speed development. Someone just mentioned sorting methods. In that case, obviously, a little extra coding doesn't hurt, but changing your game's architecture each time an largish optional feature is added is a bad idea. -I also still hold by wanting Python to be faster. I don't care if it is impossible; I still want it to be. I'm not going to give up on Python's great niceness just for a want of some speed.
Ian