Re: [pygame] pypy?

--- Timothy Fitz <TimothyFitz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 8/29/06, Kris Schnee <kschnee@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Will I be able to use PyPy to build a Python emulator?
>
> What do you mean here by emulator?

"Python emulator" is kind of the wrong term to use, I think, because emulator
implies a complete system like a piece of hardware, wheras a programming
language is incomplete without the context of the platform, runtime
environment, implementation, etc. So a project like WINE counts as an
emulator(despite the title) because Windows is a software platform for x86
hardware. But languages are more "fuzzy" in their behavior and can't guarantee
a 100% compatible behavior when communication with the OS or hardware is
necessary. So we talk of varying implementations of a language and how they
compare with each other - Python has a de-facto standard, CPython, and a couple
of others, including PyPy.

So the answer to the original question is "sort of," since PyPy can build
itself, and build it to be functionally equivalent, but that doesn't mean it's
equivalent to CPython.