Re: [pygame] Select a File...

On 8/1/07, Ian Mallett <geometrian@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Go to Microsoft Word. Go to File->Open.  The window that opens is what I
> want.

You should try to make your game in Microsoft Word then. Use macros.
It will be hot.

> I tried it, but it didn't work.  I didn't spend too much time with it,
> though.  I don't know if it's what I want, as I have not yet seen it
> working.

If you want to see the wxPython file choosing dialog stuff, then run
the wxPython demo , then pick the "FileDialog" option under the
"Common Dialog" section. Then you can see what it's like. Depending on
what game you want to make particularly if it's not real-time action),
you may be able to make the whole thing in wxPython (it will be easier
than in word)

> Right.  See, I am making a program that uses pygame.  Would it work to
> perhaps make the file chooser a subprocess?

Subprocess could work - it would be a bit of a hassle, particularly if
you plan on packaging your app with py2exe or py2app eventually.
Honestly, there really is no good or clean or easy way to get exactly
what you think you want. You'll have to do some combination of
difficult coding or trial & error or struggling with odd and expected
errors on configurations you didn't check before or both if you are
really attached to getting a popup windows common dialog for file open
and use pygame.