Re: [pygame] [Pygame] Generating a map

kschnee@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I don't know of a tutorial on exactly what you want, but we've been
> talking a little recently about random terrain generation. One technique
> worth looking at is "Perlins noise,"

This is a good tool to have in your arsenal - for Perlin's own presentation:
http://www.noisemachine.com/talk1/

Also, there's a pretty good paper about the tricks that the "Tribal
Trouble" guys used to make their terrain here:
http://oddlabs.com/download/terrain_generation.pdf

One thing I've had a hard time finding good references for is a means for
procedurally modeling the effect of glaciers on a heightfield terrain.
River erosion is pretty well covered, and you get "V"-shaped valleys as a
result of rivers. Glaciers behave differently, and their valleys tend to
be more "U" shaped.

I've tinkered with World Machine [http://www.world-machine.com/] and
Terragen [http://www.planetside.co.uk/terragen/] to play around with
terrain, but I'd like to be able to drive the whole process from within my
games, and there are a few pieces that I'm not sure how I'd implement.
Like glaciers.

-Dave LeCompte