Re: Re: [pygame] PyGameDB coming along well

Richie Ward <richies@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I like Hypernucleus, all agreed?

Sounds good, but there could be spelling issues (at a minimum "hypernuculus" etc)

> In other news, python-server project will be started.

We've gotten a little distracted by the naming effort, so I've lost track of a couple of things. Firstly, there's already a GUI for launching games, correct? What is the scope of this server?

I would advise against duplicating the effort of pypi.python.org for project registration and file serving. There could be a simple addition of new "framework" or keyword tag to projects compatible with the installer program. For example, here's all the "Django" framework packages:

http://pypi.python.org/pypi?:action=browse&c=523

A simple, existing XML-RPC query against PyPI could then give you a list of the downloadable games and frameworks. If necessary a "local" list of packages could be maintained by simply monitoring the pypi RSS feed.

> But I also have some choices...
> cherrypy or pylons?
> cheetah or some other templating engine?

I'd suggest Django using Pinax to speed things along http://pinax.hotcluboffrance.com/

It's pretty nice because it gives you cool things like openid login, account management, profiles, social networking, mail queue management, polls, threaded comments, photo management...

I wonder whether this proposed site could actually be the generic Python Gaming website I've been looking for for so long?

     Richard