Re: [pygame] Adding Wii Remote support to pygame

It's not being handled as a new input-device: the 'drivers' re-mapp
its functionality onto default keyboard/mouse keypresses/motions/etc.
Basically it's emulating existing input devices.

That's what the existing "driver" for Linux does as well (at least at the user-visible level).  I'm hacking it so that it works with Pygame as a completely new kind of input device.  So I don't think this will be a problem for porting to Windows...

On top of that, it doesn't work with the microsoft Bluetooth stack, so
people have to install BlueSoleil bluetooth stacks to use it.
(I'm referring to GlovePIE, if there is a better windows driver
available, let me know!)

 However, this could most definitely be a problem.  I don't really know how to work around this, because I've not been paying attention to the Windows side of things.  My guess is that most of the people interested in hacking the Wiimote are Linux folks, so maybe it's just not been "looked at" enough in Windows yet, and if we wait another month or so there will be better drivers.  Or maybe there is a fundamental problem with the Microsoft Bluetooth stack?  I'm no Bluetooth expert (in fact the Wiimote is the first Bluetooth device I've owned), so I'm afraid I don't have any useful advice.

In the absolute worst case, I guess we have to tell people to install third-party bluetooth drivers if they want to use Wiimotes in Pygame...

Perhaps I'll try to write a C-module that can do this and wrap it in
Python?  I'm not really sure where to go from here.

That sounds promising, though possibly time-consuming.

robomancer