[pygame] Re: Pygame for Android

I've released a new version (0.9) of the Pygame Subset for Android,
which is my project to develop a Pygame release for Android. This is
getting close to being releasable, I think, at least for the early
adopter crowd. (Thanks for the website mention.)

I've changed the name of the project to "Pygame Subset for Android",
in order to not mislead people as to what the project is about. Not
every python and pygame API is supported, and many don't make sense on
the Android platform - so I'm picking and choosing what to implement.

There's a new web presence, at least for now.

ÂÂ Âhttp://www.renpy.org/pygame/

I'm not sure if this should be the permanent location, or if it makes
sense to make this part of the regular pygame website.

Anyway, the website tries to explain how to port simple games.

There are a lot of changes in this version:

- The project has been refactored a bit, so it's plausible to have a
ÂÂsingle instance of pygame on a phone, and then have multiple game
ÂÂdownloads use it via intents. That last part, the packaging story,
ÂÂisn't implemented yet - I want to have some games before I put time
ÂÂinto that.

ÂÂThe org.renpy.android (Ren'Py for Android) and org.renpy.pygame
ÂÂ(Pygame Subset for Android) projects now share 100% of the code,
ÂÂwith just data files different. This simplifies long-term
ÂÂmaintenance, as releases of both will be easy.
ÂÂ
- It works in the emulator, as well as anything works in the emulator
ÂÂ(that is, slowly). While it's still better to test on an actual
ÂÂdevice, the emulator is used. (Thanks to stas for reporting this.)

- There's a new android_mixer module that is a clone of
ÂÂpygame.mixer. While I don't want to try to port across the
ÂÂdependency-heavy SDL_mixer stack, I think this is the next best
ÂÂthing.

- It's now possible to choose if a game runs in landscape or portrait
ÂÂorientation.
ÂÂ
- There's a project selector, that allows the user to choose between
ÂÂmultiple pygame projects stored on their sd card.

- The new android.map_key function lets you map an android key to a
ÂÂpygame keysym.

- The splashscreen works better.

- There's some documentation.

I think the next step from here is to port some games. To do this, I'd
like it if people could volunteer their time and projects. I'm
especially looking for games that are suited to a touch-orientedÂ
platform - once where only mouse clicks and drags matter,
essentially.Â