Re: [pygame] PyGame / PyOpenGL Example

Richard Jones wrote:
On Wed, 13 Feb 2008, René Dudfield wrote:
Apart from Richards shameless self promotion of pyglet, here's some
other things to look at...

It was more an attempt to dispel the "even in Python" statement :)

Heh. Thanks, both of you.

It looks like with Pyglet I'd need to learn its equivalents to Pygame's event handling, although that doesn't look too complex, and in exchange I'd get the ability to load textures and draw images and text easily while still being able to use standard OpenGL drawing functions. Maybe that's worth trying.

I'm having a hard time figuring out which of these many systems is best for my purposes, if I'm to do 3D. Am I making a mistake by looking at 3D at all? Since I'm working alone I have no ambitions to do full 3D animation; basically it'd be a way to represent a landscape with height. The terrain I'd like is a simple island landscape with rocks, trees and buildings, like this: <http://www.terragame.com/downloadable/strategy/tribal_trouble/screen_1.jpg> Does it make sense to go to the trouble of a 3D engine to get the flexibility of being able to look at the terrain from any angle?

Maybe I'm answering my own question here. I'm basically looking for eye candy instead of focusing on the gameplay concepts I want to develop.