[pygame] PixelArray versus Surfarray + Numeric/NumPy

Hi everyone!  I'm a hobby programmer and new to pygame.  This is my first post to the list.

I've been reading different docs and the the list archives to understand how best to move forward with experiments in image blending.  The Surfarray tutorial on the docs page is excellent, but a little outdated.  This seems to be a transitional period where the documentation and support for NumPy have not arrived and the pre-built Windows binaries for NumPy and Numeric don't support the latest python.  As an alternative, can I just use pygame.PixelArray for all of my realtime blending needs?  Is it too slow?

If not, could anyone point me to some documentation on setting up a Windows build environment that will work for compiling pygame, python, and numpy together?

Thanks very much for your help!

Jordan