Re: [pygame] Pygame in Linux without X Windows

Although I do not know any ready made debian package, I am sure it is possible. But you should compile your own version of SDL. Normally, What i did was to compile, Python, all dependicies, SDL and SDL-* libraries and PyGame  under /pygame  directory. It is a long day work to make everything working properly.  I have a 512MB CF disk (fat32)  image that is booting and running in ramdisk with pygame and pyserial. Unfortunately, it is not documented anyhow.

If you like to keep your installed  debian system and run SDL over framebuffer. Shut the X server down, on shell prompt type "export SDL_VIDEODRIVER=fbcon" and run your own application then it should work if you have got a framebuffer installed properly during boot.

Aykut

evil monkey yazmış:
I tried this a while ago, but it didn't work for me. I tried several videodrivers (directfb, ggi, vgl, svgalib, aalib), but it alway quited with an error: 'no avaiable video device'. I changed SDL_VIDEODRIVER like the documentation mentions, but with no success.

On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 19:19:18 +1100