Re: [pygame] unit and doc testing questions

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 07:44:00AM +1100, René Dudfield wrote:
> it can be good to mark your slow tests somehow, so you can run them
> separately.
>
> With pygame we extend the python unittest module to allow specifying
> tags(categories) for tests.  This allows us to also use interactive
> tests, and other tests you may not want to run every time.
>
> However you could just move them into a different directory, and
> change your test runner to look in a different directory given a cmd
> line option... you don't need any fancy testing framework.

I prefer phrasing it as "Python lets you trivially create your own fancy
testing framework in 15 minutes".  ;-)

> doctests can be a quick way to do testing.  You can create your code
> in the interactive interpreter, then paste the output into the doc
> strings.  You can use doc tests, and unittests together too... so the
> doc tests can be run in a unittest test runner.

This is, in fact, my preferred mode of testing.  Example:
http://mg.pov.lt/pyspacewar/trac/browser/trunk/src/pyspacewar/tests/test_world.py

(I dislike long doctests in the docstrings of real functions, they
obscure the code too much and make it hard to read.  Short doctests
there are fine.  Long doctests belong in a separate test module.)

> On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 5:57 AM, Jake b <ninmonkeys@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I say 'compiling', because I found a method in the python cookbook that says
> > "you want to ensure your modules tests are run each time your module is
> > compiled."
> >
> > It pretty much does "if module is imported, but not main script, and needs
> > recompile(because was changed): then run tests"

This sounds very interesting.  Do you have a URL?  I tried searching on
http://code.activestate.com/recipes/langs/python/, but didn't find
anything.

Marius Gedminas
--
Writing setattr hooks properly is a black art. Writing persistent
setattr hooks is more like hearding bees blindfolded...