Re: [pygame] Is PyGame dying?

2010/1/27 René Dudfield <renesd@xxxxxxxxx>:

> On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 1:47 AM, Olof Bjarnason <olof.bjarnason@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:

>> > If you look on the www.pygame.org website you'll notice that
>> > pygame2.0.0-alpha3 was released recently.
>>
>> Cool!

>> > Yes pygame2/pgreloaded has Python 3.1 support.
>>
>> Nice, I admit I had missed this announcement on the web page.
>>
>> The impression that PyGame was dying came into my mind because a new
>> friend of mine asked about writing Python 2d-games, and that he too
>> had the impression PyGame was not actively developed. Also, my
>> sndarray-question was left undiscussed for five days. It still is left
>> undiscussed. That might however be due to the maintainer of sndarray
>> being on vacation or something, I guess.
>>

>> > Tom
>> >

>> --
>> http://olofb.wordpress.com
>

> hi,
>
> yeah, there has been a bit of a slowing down in pygame development recently
> compared to 6 months ago.  Not quite dead... more undead... in zombie mode.
>
> The last pygame release was pretty draining for me personally... with 3
> students and other new developers joining... and the most changes of any
> pygame release so far.  I'm sure it was also draining for other pygame
> contributors too.  The pace was probably too hectic, and after a big push it
> takes time to recover before putting in another big effort (or perhaps going
> back to smaller efforts).
>
> The last couple of months have been difficult for me personally with moving
> countries, a death in my family, and a job change.  So in the past I've
> tended to help out a lot on the mailing list - and haven't been active so
> much recently.  However lots of other people also help out answering on the
> mailing list... I think most questions are being answered by people though.
>

> Here is a run down of things that have been happening in pygame development
> terms(that I know of)...
>

> Marcus has begun working on pgreloaded again, and made a release recently.
> Hopefully some of these changes can be ported to pygame as well.
>
> Lorenz has been working on his math branch (vectors and such) on and off.
>
> jug & co have been working on their website.
>
> Phil has updated his tinypy python implementation to tinypyC++.  So that it
> can compile a subset of python into C++ code that can run on the iphone.
> This means you can prototype your iphone game with pygame and then use
> tinpyC++ (with type hints) into an iphone game.  You can also target windows
> mobile phones with not too much extra effort.
>
> Pygame is now on other mobile devices, like moblin, nokia s60, pandora, and
> nokia maemo.
>
> A new pygame book has been released for free!
>
> 10-20 games are released on pygame.org every week.
>
> Other pygame related stuff I've been working on since 1.9.1 was released:
>     - SDL 1.2.14 was released (which addressed a couple of hundred bugs)
> [...]

Thanks for your rigorous answer René.

It was not at all my intention to complain - I just wanted to "wake
up" this mailing list / pygame.

I love pygame, and feel a bit sorry about my initial tone in this thread.

Also, if there is a possibility of donating some dough to pygame, I'd
love to do that to help releave some stress.

--
http://olofb.wordpress.com