From: owner-pygame-users@seul.org [mailto:owner-pygame-users@seul.org]On
Behalf Of Michael Robin
Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2001 8:28 PM
To: pygame-users@seul.org
Subject: [pygame] Timing...

(This is Windows/DirectX)
Still playing around with a simple game...

I noticed that my current game engine has "fuzzy step functions" related to
refresh rate.

NumObjs		FPS
------------------------
1			60
10			60
40			57
48*			42
50			33
75			30
100*			26
150			16
200			14

		* = cusp

This only happens when I am FULLSCREEN.
(Curiously, it doesn't matter if I choose HWSURFACE or not.)

When the # of objs is on a cusp, it's very obvious from looking at the
objects
move that some loops have to wait for a refresh, and some don't - causing
jerky movement.

Currently w/o C extensions, I need the speedup (about 2-4x) that
DOUBLEBUF|FULLSCREEN
and directx give me.
Any way to avoid this effect? (I assume not- kind of the nature of the
beast.)

The only thing I can think of to do is to have the game "gracefully
de-feature"
if the user chooses as-fast-as-possbile mode. I could go in a test loop and
start
removing non-essential rendered elements until I am over one of the refresh
cusps.
(I could (possibly - argh...) do this because I'm vector-based, not BMP
based.)

thanks,
mike

* ps - Okay, it's not really a cusp seeing ddx is the same sign...