Re: [pygame] PyGame and Pango question.

On, Wed Jul 23, 2008, Troeger, Thomas (ext) wrote:

> > Yes it is. I'm working on it, but do not expect it to be available
> with
> > the next 3 months.
>
> Cool! Will it be a pango integration, or an implementation of your own?
> If you have something I'd be glad to beta-test :^) Will that be an

It will be a pango integration. Integrating complex script layout with
all its odds and ends can easily become a pain. pango is mature in most
areas when it comes to layout and full unicode feature support, so
settling on an own implementation would be the wrong way to go in my
opinion.

> official part of pygame? Have you got something I can test already?

Yes it will be an official part, sorted under the pygame.font
module. The goal is to replace the buggy SDL_ttf rendering part with
pango by default, but keep also the old implementation for systems on
which pango is not available or for which it is not suitable for the one
or other reason.

At the moment there are just some stubs I have around locally. Nothing
to test, though.

Regards
Marcus