Re: [pygame] What's next for Pygame project?

On Mon, 2015-07-13 at 10:21 -0700, Lenard Lindstrom wrote:
> > If we decide pygame2 must be fully backward compatible, I was worried
> > it would limit future changes. Or that supporting both old with new is
> > adding too much complexity for something that might not be needed?
> Pygame2 can never be fully backward compatible. SDL2 is more strict that
> SDL 1.2 in some areas. Overlays and cd rom support are gone. Pygame2 can
> support a large subset of Pygame1 though.

There are also things that can't be fixed/improved elegantly in Pygame
without breaking backwards compatibility a little. I think if we get a
better API out of it, we shouldn't worry too much about backwards
compatibility. Maybe we can aim for something that will allow 90% of
projects to continue working with no changes, and the others would
require a few small changes to work with Pygame 2.