Re: [pygame] using opengl in pygame?

SDL is going to have performance trouble anytime you try to update the entire frame, every frame. Which is a real downer IMO, since I like my games to look dyanmic with the entire screen updating all the time.

In OpenGL, there's no performance bottleneck, but there's another limitation--the card's max texture size. I believe that 512x512 is almost universally supported, and that even moderately new cards can do 2048x2048. But you'll definitely want to research that.

-Eric

israel@uandmedance.com wrote:

Thanks Bob and Eric.

Great feedback.
So are there any examples you can point me to that successfully use OpenGL within a pyGame context? From the various bits I've read, it sounds like people are pretty pleased with how easy it is to use the two without any major contortions or limitations.

In my day job (and night job, and early early morning job), I'm the artist for a small games developer, and in the past we tried to use SDL and ran into an image size barrier. Turns out that SDL didn't like full screen (or close to that) images that moved so we ended up having to patch a big grid of many images together to reach decent performance. Is that something you've heard about, or is there a better approach fullscreen animated goodness?

Thanks again.

~Israel~