Re: [pygame] pygame with SDL2 proposal

Hello,

Pygame relies heavily on the new buffer protocol to interact with external modules like NumPy. The new buffer protocol is a CPython C api level protocol for exposing array data. There is nothing comparable at the Python level. In particular, the new buffer protocol allows for a callback to call when a client releases a buffer. For a Pygame surface, the callback unlocks the surface. The alternative to a callback is to unlock the surface when the client object is garbage collected. This will not work in PyPy, which lacks reference counting. So much of Pygame needs to remain as extension modules to continue to use the new buffer protocol, making CFFI less useful.

Lenard Lindstrom