Re: [pygame] Re: pygame with SDL2 proposal

On 21 March 2017 at 10:48, René Dudfield <renesd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
It sounds like you're still not convinced though. I can make the tree first, and we can see what it looks like more easily. If it turns out to be not such a good idea afterwards we can always remove sdl1 support.

I'm not entirely convinced - maintaining compatibility with SDL 1 and 2 sounds like the sort of thing that *should* be easy, but could leave us with a lot of corner cases where one or the other doesn't work, and result in confusing issues when a game is tested on one and then unwittingly played on the other.

But I don't know SDL well enough to understand how big the difference is, and the transition doesn't interest me enough to work on it myself. I'm satisfied that I've made my case, and you're evidently not convinced, so go ahead and do it as you've planned.

The one detail I'd ask for before any SDL1/2 release is a Python API to get the SDL version number, if there isn't one already, so when people report issues there's an easy way for them to find out which SDL they're using.

Thomas