Re: [pygame] Dirty rect overlapping optimizations

On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 8:20 AM, Leif Theden <leif.theden@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
In my experience, I've found it is better to optimize the game as if the whole screen was being updated at the same time.  The effect being, I never bother with dirty updates.  It seems that many games will have moments of brief full or near full screen updates, and time spent optimizing the screen updates is effectively wasted.
​I've already said this, but it bears amplifying: this has been my experience also. If you're fillrate-bound enough to be worrying about overdraw and minimal blit updates, you're probably fillrate&fragment-bound enough to want to invest in a GL renderer anyway.
Ian​