[pygame] Installing pygame on Mac OS X Snow Leopard: How do I tell the config.py script where libsdl is?

I am trying to install pygame on Mac OS X Snow Leopard with python
3.1. I have been loosely following the guide found here:
http://programming.itcarlow.ie/PyGameInstall.pdf linked to from the
pygame website. It basically tells you to install SDL from the source
yourself, and use macports to install libjpeg, libsmpeg, and PORTMIDI.
I get to the final steps where I call the pygame config.py script
here:
$ python3  config.py
Only to notice that none of the SDL libs can be located by the config
script.

The output from config.py looks like this:
Using Darwin configuration...

Backup existing "Setup" file [Y/n]:n
Hunting dependencies...
Framework SDL not found
Framework SDL_ttf not found
Framework SDL_image not found
Framework SDL_mixer not found
Framework smpeg not found
PNG     : found
JPEG    : found
SCRAP   : not found
PORTMIDI: found
Framework CoreMidi found

libSDL, libSDL_mixer, libSDL_tff, libSDL_image are all in /usr/local/
lib. How do I tell the config script where my SDL libraries are
located?