Re: [pygame] Test

> Jan Ekholm writes:
>  > Anyway, I installed pygame from the RPM yesterday at home, and got a
>  > problem with setup.py trying to find read_setup_file() (or similar) from
>  > distutils/extensions, and not finding it.
>
> Sorry you had problems. distutils is a big mystery to me, and I think
> it was changeing quite rapidly up until the 2.0 final release.

yeah, you'll need to upgrade your python, or get the latest distutils
release. there was a flurry of last minute cleanups to distutils, as
they tried to get everything finished before the 2.0 release.
(i believe 2.0b2 and up are ok)

>  > One thing I was wondering about is wether there are any plans for
>  > incorporating some simple drawing primitives into the toolkit.
>
> This would be welcome. Now that the wrapper is modular, we can add
> this sort of thing without worrying about bloat. I'd like to
> eventually see a pygame.primitives module with lines, circles,
> rectangles and flood fills - it could be done in C, or in python with
> numpy support. I'll put it on my todo list, but it's below a sample
> game and a ui module, so if anyone else wants to get started on it, go
> ahead.

i've looked into this. to me it seems like PIDDLE would be the way
to go. it should be simple to create an SDL backend renderer. to get
it started only requires about 3-4 functions. then you can always add
more later for optimizations. i've been planning to get something like
this done, but it will be awhile before i can get on it. if someone
else has a chance to put something like this together, that would be
great. http://piddle.sourceforge.net/ (also see cool stuff like this,
http://starship.python.net/crew/jjkunce/piddle/ , which does basic
html rendering through piddle)

note, you might be able to use some of the functions from SGE as a
reference. this is an sdl library the provides some simple drawing
tools along with other stuff.

what do you guys think? would the benefits of piddle be worth
adding the dependency? or do you think it would be easier for end
users if there was just a standalone python module that could do
the drawing?

another more advanced effort would be to use the rendering backend
from Sketch. http://sketch.sourceforge.net/ . I've talked with the
author really quickly, and he says it is built in a modular
method, it should not be (too) difficult to separate the rendering
engine from all the UI cruft (which is tkinter). This would probably
be more work, but give us a lot more features. things like
text-on-a-path, gradient fills, even rendering a PS, PDF, SVG, etc
onto an SDL Surface. (this would be way way good)
thinking about it more, there are a lot of neat features, but
it is important that the interface allows users to simply say
"draw oval, fill polygon" easy enough, without loading it all
from an existing file.

btw, i've got sound working now (whew). a couple more things on
my checklist and i'll get the next release out. unfortunately
the past 3 nights have interrupted my time, heh.