Re: [pygame] Newbie + pygame + sdl framework

On 10/17/05, Dane Ensign <dane@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all,

I run os x 10.4.2, and I need to setup pygame with python 2.4 which
is not the stock install of python from Apple.
So I have 2 versions of python installed. I have all but the sdl
framework installed from Darwinports. Once I figure
that out, to get started I have 2 main questions:
1. Which source should I use? *note, that Im not using macpython, so
I need a source
2. How can I instruct the pygame module to be setup by the version of
python that I installed?

Hi Dane,

You shouldn't need the source for either pygame or SDL.  If you install the pre-compiled Mac OS X pygame package, I think it contains and will install the SDL frameworks you need.  Here it is:

http://pythonmac.org/packages/pygame-1.7.0-py2.4-macosx10.3.zip

Note that this is actually *intended* for the python 2.4 "framework" build, so if that's what you've got, you'll be all set (but I'm not sure if that's the same as the darwinports python 2.4).  You'll know you've got the 2.4 framework build of python if your system has a /Library/Frameworks/Python/Versions/2.4 directory.  If it doesn't, I'd recommend you install it before doing anything else.

Another critical point is to make sure that the 2.4 version of the python binary is earlier in your path than the built-in python, so that packages will install into the correct 2.4 location.

Also note that you'll almost certainly want to install PyObjC, and probably Numeric as well.

--
// jack
// http://www.nuthole.com