Re: [pygame] Re: Images and Sounds

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 10:29:34 +0100 Dan wrote: >> I was wondering if any of you liked the idea of a >>directory >> on pygame (not CVS) that would have a lot of pictures >>and >> sounds for you to download? > >Even though the focus of the discussion has been images, >it might be >more helpful to concentrate on sounds first. Sounds are >more generic and >can easily be reused between programs without making all >the games look >alike. For example, a spaceship image is only useful in a >certain type >of game, and only if it's the right size, etc. By >contrast, an explosion >or a zap is very general and easy to reuse (or to swap >out if a better >one comes along). > >Sound also adds a lot to the experience of a game: like >salt to a soup, >which you don't notice by its own taste but by the way it >brings the >rest of the soup (game) to life. > >Once you have a directory of sounds that is proving >itself useful, you >can undertake the much larger effort of a directory of >images. > >But that's just my opinion and I won't be participating >in the effort. > >-- > People might say, "That's too bad about the >earthquake. Now let's > play a little video poker." > - spokesman David Hooper, explaining why Oregon >paid over > $100,000 to ensure that its gambling machines >would be > online within hours after an earthquake > > I think that you are right and sounds are harder to make than images anyway. So if we did do the directorys the sounds would come first. I had a thought though. The images posted would all be up for editing so they could just be a template for the images you might use.
Sincerely, Matt