[pygame] fatal python error

hi all

When I run some pygame applications I am getting this error :
Fatal Python error: (pygame parachute) Segmentation Fault Aborted

But if i run python on the terminal and import pygame there is no error.

The funny thing is that this only happens on my debian (Sid) desktop. I
tried on a Ubuntu Dapper, XP, OSX and it is ok.

I am running
Python 2.4.4 (#2, Oct 20 2006, 00:23:25)
pygame 1.7.1release-4

I am totally puzzled, there must be something to do with Debian, any one had this problem before?

thanks

enrike