Re: [pygame] car game scrolling

Yeah!

This is really smart indeed, thanks for this, of course it was helpful :-)

Hm... i'll use this thread for asking a new question, always concerning my car game.

Now, i would like to handle collisions. I already wrote something for detect when car go out the road using mask. Now i would like to detect when the car hit an 'obstacle'. My first idea was to use another mask : so at the moment, i do this way :

Once again, this is my way to do. Might be not the best, so if someone have another idea.

Here's the previous demo with Weeble improvements and my obstacles detection : http://pastebin.com/ibS5AtnN

2011/9/5 Weeble <clockworksaint@xxxxxxxxx>
On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 5:54 PM, Nathan BIAGINI <nathan.open@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> i have a new problem to solve concerning my little car game. Actually i
> thought i did it but i just stopped a bug in my code.
>
> In fact, i decided to not move the car but to scroll the screen. I only move
> the car when the player reach one of the four edges of the map. I keep the
> 'virtual' position of the car on the circuit and i use them to determinate
> how i need to stop scrolling the screen and start moving the car.
[...]

Hi Nathan,

I ran your demo and I have two suggestions:

1. You calculate a new rectangle for your car at the top of the update
method based on self.image from *last* frame. Then you calculate a new
self.image based on the current rotation. When I moved the rectangle
calculation down to be the last thing in update(), the turning was
*much* smoother.

2. When doing scrolling like this, I would normally give the player
object only what you call "virtual_x" and "virtual_y" - the position
of the player relative to the map. These would be the only things
updated in the update() method - I wouldn't track x, y, offset_x or
offset_y at all. I create a separate class that I call "Camera" or
"Viewport" with its own x and y, then at the point that I'm drawing
things I subtract the camera's x and y from the player's x and y to
find the screen coordinates to draw the player.

Here's your demo with those two changes:

http://pastebin.com/mxmbZGLT

Hope that's helpful!