[pygame] OPENGLBLIT

I just tried to blit to an OpenGL surface and got the following message:
pygame.error: Cannot blit to OPENGL Surfaces (OPENGLBLIT is ok)

So, I tried using OPENGLBLIT, and it stopped coming up with the error, but nothing is drawn to the screen. Can this provide a way for pygame to blit surfaces to OpenGL, or will I need to rewrite all my drawing for OpenGL as I initially thought?

As a second question, is there a way to check if the current display is OpenGL or not?

Thanks,
Sam Bull