Re: [school-discuss] Re: New Foundry Request / Educational

On Wed, 3 Apr 2002 6:01 am, Kyle Hutson wrote:
<snip>
> Neither Adabas nor Paradox are
> open source, so to use free (speech) software, you're stuck with SQL
> servers (MySQL, PostgreSQL, or InterBase), with front-ends stuck on
> (which isn't such a bad thing, again IMHO).

I looking at teaching myself Java with the aim of building some cross
platform database products.  My prefered platform is Linux, but I'd like to
make things that work okay in the Windows world too (for strategic reasons
only ;-).

I'm looking for some recommendations / opinions on open-source database
backends.

MySQL has a reputation for being fast, but somewhat feature limited.  I note
that its foreign key support is fairly recent and is still missing some
features as far as I can tell.

PostgreSQL has a reputation for being slower (probably not a big issue for
the type of apps I'm thinging of) but has a much better feature set.

I didn't even know that there was an open source version of InterBase until I
read Kyle's email.  It looks like a 'Mozilla' type of open source licence.
Anyone got views on just how committed Borland is to open source?  (They have
done Kylix as well...)

I guess my main issues are features (foreign key support would be good, and
replication might be useful too) and portability.  In particular I was hoping
for Windows 98 support (although I guess this will get less important over
time).

I initially thought it was more portable than PostgreSQL, as I know it is
Cygwin based and only claims to support NT etc.  However, I now notice that
MySQL on Windows is also Cygwin based.  Anyone with any experience in how
they compare running on Windows 98?  (Does PostgreSQL actually run on Windows
98?)

Based on my reading of the various websites, InterBase is looking like the
best option, with PostgreSQL second and MySQL third.  But I'd like to hear
from people that have actually used them.

Cheers,

Rasjid.