[school-discuss] Re: Gradebook project

On Sunday 07 April 2002 05:40 pm, you wrote:
> Hello, Mike.
>
> While writing up some preliminary specs for this project, I found it
> difficult to determine the scope.  Will this project develop only a
> (stand-alone) gradebook app or will it be the beginning of an entire
> student information system[1]?

i think the answer is yes [as grocho might say], as evidenced by the posting
todate.  scope drifts without provacation. one good reason for setting a
delivery date is to bound the scope by the simple act of a cutoff date.

i hope whatever we do between now and june can be plugged into other efforts
in future.  Starting with Storm would set that precedent.

if a student information system is created, it will likely be by accident.
this has worked well for projects like apache.org.  loosely coupled projects
that seize opportunities to integrate and try to avoid doing anything that
might discourage the opportunity.

this means some level of rewrite is inevitable, but managable.

> Even if it's just a 'simple' gradebook app, I need to know whether
> people want to use the gradebook for just high school students or also
> for elementary?

i think you should plan on both.  isn't one a subset of the other to a
limited degree?

> I've attached the beginnings of my research.

your attachment didn't get through.

we need some teachers on the list to bat these issues around.
i'm not a teacher, so this isn't really a first person account.

mike eschman, etc