Re: [school-discuss] EduML/EML/ and others

> However, I would think that the demands of a Gradebook are quite well taken
> care of by a normal SQL database. Some fields of records could be encoded
> in XML, but generally it takes someone with talent to do this. One can
> easily do the import/export into/from the database.

When I mentioned gradebook it was mostly an example. But here is what I am
looking at XML to do, XML will not be the database so to say, You will
still run MySQL,Postgres, or some form of database with these
applications. Where we need the XML schema is to share the data between
applications, schools, offices, and other locations. Here is why,

Les you build a gradebook, I build a lesson plan application. Your grade
book can not export to XML only share the database, I look at your
gradebook code and decide okay well I would like to have a reference to
student grades on each lesson plan (to see if it was sucessful, see if the
lesson plan got the point across or what ever the reason may be) I write
the code to hook into your database. You are on release 1.0 I am on
release 1.0. You are working on some new features and bam you change the
db schema, now it can break my code because I am sharing the Database not
just the data (is this collaboration, is this working together) Maybe I am
also suggesting a API (in several languages) that will create hooks in
applications to allow other app's to hook in to each other to allow
exporting of data, I dont exactly know right now.

Also there comes this, a simple grade book application is written, It is
a web application. Now many schools might not be able to use this because
of resources, You cant expect one teacher to install mysql, apache, php
and everything on the pc they use, so they might not be able to use the
application. This is a case where a client side application should
be/could be built and you dont need a database, If its a client
application then XML will do just fine for local file storage. Not only
that lets say you have a web application and I come along and build a
client application that writes XML files that can then be exported into
the web application. This takes away the need for an internet connection
other then a small dial up connection to export the data to the web/main
server. There are many uses for XML and an XML standard in education. The
problem is do people want to realize this.

I am also pretty sure that an abstract or draft is written on most
standards before a lot of code is written.

These are just my feeling's and no one has to agree with them

--
Matt Jezorek
Executive Director / Founder

CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED

Unless otherwise indicated or obvious from the nature of the following
communication is intended for the use of the individual or entity named
above.

If the reader of this transmission is not the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this
communication in error or are not sure whether it is privileged, please
immediately notify us by return e-mail and destroy any copies,
electronic, paper or otherwise, which you may have of this communication