Re: [school-discuss] Name change and Name Ideas needed

I can get a trademark yes, It will cost me 325 bucks. I cant afford this.
I have funded this whole project out of my personal bank account so far.
Now I have linuxfund giving me a little but not enough to be able to take
a large chunk on a trademark. Also If I file a trademark now it will do no
good on the domain name but will protect the product name. Reason it will
not protect bluelinux.com is because it was registered prior to the
trademark. Now according to ACPA and the ICANN site i can do it for
intellectual property. But a dispute with ICANN related groups is at the
very least 1500 bucks. Also after the dispute with ICANN they can drag it
into a courthouse. Now we are talking money I dont have.

Its a big mess and there dont seem to be laws to protect the small groups.
We are a registered non-profit group working on 501(c)3 status but we dont
have the money for trademarks and all the stuff the big companies can do
so in this matter it seems like we just get screwed.

 On 19 Apr 2002,
michael Parker wrote:

> On Fri, 2002-04-19 at 06:02, William Abernathy wrote:
> > Matt Jezorek wrote:
> >
> > >    I also can not afford to protect the name. Back when I first
> started to
> > > Blue Linux i tried to register bluelinux.org, bluelinux.com, and
>
> > > bluelinux.net. However I was only able to get .org. I have tried
> almost
> > > daily to grab the other domains as they expire. I lost at this
> battle.
> > > BlueLinux.com was snatched up in January by a company called CPi
> Sites
> > > they own http://www.urlcollector.com/. I tried to make an offer
> to buy the
> > > domain at what I feel is a fair price. I was denied and told
> that I had to
> > > purchase it for $650 dollars US. I can not afford this. In the
> process
> > > they told me they where going to complete the sale to a company
> in Tokyo
> > > for $500.00 US. I can not compete I dont have the budget. Now it
> apears
> > > that if I owned a trademark on Blue Linux I could then chase
> down and get
> > > the domain of course they said the only way I could get it with
> > > trademark from them is for them to charge me a "Surrender Fee"
> of 562.00
> > > US. Here is where I can not protect the name. Why would a
> company in Tokyo
> > > buy "bluelinux.com" unless they where intending on providing
> > > software/services or a product under the Blue Linux name.
> >

> > Perhaps you should talk directly to the people in Japan before
> leaping to any
> > conclusions. Domain name traders are scum. If they told me my
> pants were on
> > fire, I'd wait for a second opinion. For all you know, they
> fabricated the
> > Japanese angle from whole cloth. And the Japanese, if they do
> exist, may be
> > willing to share, or take a .biz domain.
> >
> > While I could
> > > stop a trademark with the prior art clause. I can not stop them
> from using
> > > the domain name to release a product either competing with me or
> against
> > > me or however you want to say it. I dont mind competition but I
> dont want
> > > competition because of a .org or .com typo. So we feel it would
> probably
> > > be best to change names.
> >

> > Don't get so worked up. Unless and until you've confirmed the
> Japanese angle,
> > you don't even know whether or not there will be any confusion
> over your domain
> > name. These squatters may well be playing games. Don't fold before
> you have a
> > chance to see them blink.
>
> quite. afaik, if you own a company that trades under a certain name,
> and
> [...]

Matt Jezorek
Executive Director / Founder
Blue Linux Group, Inc
http://www.bluelinux.org
matt@bluelinux.org

CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED

Unless otherwise indicated or obvious from the nature of the following
communication is intended for the use of the individual or entity named
above.

If the reader of this transmission is not the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this
communication in error or are not sure whether it is privileged, please
immediately notify us by return e-mail and destroy any copies,
electronic, paper or otherwise, which you may have of this communication