Re: [OS:N:] for all those... / [school-discuss] From Microsoft: AGuide to Accepting Donated Computers for Your School

Speaking of donations and Microsoft Fog...

When I told my school's technician that we had a group of Linux users
willing to donate us hardware, he was afraid of how difficult it would
be to integrate it into his networks.  I actually showed him a Pentium 1
motherboard with CPU that was handed to me on campus by a member, and he
was unsure that it would do what the school needed.

I suspect that he thought he couldn't run Windows 98 or NT on such
donated hardware, and that it would not interact well with the existing
computers.  So I worked on it myself, and after collecting some scrap
hardware from my garage, I built a Linux workstation that is now being
actively used (right under the technician's nose) by four English
classes and one Biology class!

Here are some _correct_ answers for Microsoft's Q&A:

Will the computer run the software that your school currently uses?
Most software used by schools is simple word processing, gradebooks,
etc., and it should have very low system requirements.  Some of you may
remember a list of Open Source apps that I knew could replace popular
Windows products (posted to OS:N in December 2001).  In addition, Linux
software almost always is faster and more reliable than Windows
software, so you will be fine as long as you don't try to run Windows on
the donated computer (although one time I got Windows 98 to run on a 486
with 16MB RAM).
Unfortunately, there are a few exceptions.  I can't say that I've ever
gotten KWord or AbiWord to open a Microsoft Word document, but I can use
HTML or RTF as interim formats.  StarOffice does a better job, but it's
so bloated that it takes about 30 seconds to load on my Athlon/1GHz with
512MB RAM!  I know that there are lots of people working on these
projects, and I can be sure that they will eventually overtake Microsoft
Office (especially with Microsoft's fascist anti-piracy practices).
While there may not yet be an open-source suite (as far as I know) that
is as complete as Microsoft Office, few people really need an office
suite that does all that.  For the time being, you may want a Win98
machine in the corner for running MS Office.
I haven't tried any of the gradebook software for Linux because I'm a
student, not a teacher, so I can't make any comparisons there.

What is the cost of integrating the hardware into your existing
networks?
Just plug the darn thing in!  If you're using DHCP on your network, any
operating system will be able to configure itself to access your network
as soon as it's turned on.  If you need a Linux-based computer to access
a WinNT or Win2K server, you can use the appropriate Samba tools (i.e.
smbmount for accessing shared folders, PAM's for logging into a domain,
etc.).  If you just have a simple peer-to-peer workgroup, run Samba on a
Linux-based machine as a server.  The only "cost" would be adjusting the
Samba configuration to fit your needs.
By the way, because MacOS X is actually a UNIX system, the same should
apply to donated Macintoshes, provided that they have MacOS X.
Also by the way, if you're not using DHCP on your network, you don't
know what you're missing.

Will teachers and students need additional training to use the computer?
Only if it's running Windows XP or something earlier than Win95.  The
GNOME and KDE desktops can be configured so that they look almost
exactly like Windows, if that's what you want.  However, I've seen
people use donated Linux workstations with a default KDE desktop and
catch on in a matter of _seconds_.

Now, I shall re-answer the Q&A part so that it applies to Linux-based
computers or Windows-based computers that will use Linux to replace
Windows.

Why should the donor include the operating system with their PC
donation?
Because Microsoft says so!  Actually, if the donated computer has no
operating system, or it is running an open-source operating system (e.g.
Linux), or you intend to re-format and install an open-source operating
system on it, you don't need for the OEM operating system to stay with
the computer.  If you go with Linux, you can hang the OEM installation
CD from a tree and turn it into a nice bird repellent.
Some people have already mentioned that few people leave the operating
system installed on a computer when they donate it, because it might
contain personal files.  Trust me, I know from experience that it can be
a lot of fun to explore computers that the previous owner failed to
clean out before donating.

What does the donor need to do to donate a PC with the operating system?
It is legal to receive a donated computer with an operating system,
licensed or not, if you don't keep the operating system.  If you intend
to run Linux on your donated PC, the donor needs to do nothing more than
give you the hardware.  If you insist on keeping Windows, refer to the
EULA for more information (eww!).

How does the PC owner transfer their license rights for the operating
system?
If the operating system is open source, no such transfer is needed.  You
are not legally bound to keep the installation CD or disks, manuals,
EULA, or certificate of authenticity.  If your donated computer is set
up with an operating system that is illegal without such materials, you
can erase it and install Linux in its place.

What if the donor can't find the backup CDs, EULA, manual and
certificate of authenticity?  Can they still donate the PC and operating
system?
In the event that this happens, do not decline the donation.  Instead,
erase the installed operating system and install Linux on the PC.
Problem solved.

Can I upgrade the operating system on a donated machine?
Yes, unless you have an unlicensed copy of Windows on it.  However, you
may erase Windows from the machine and install something else on it at
any time.

Anyone have questions, comments, etc. regarding this rebuttal?  Anyone
want me to re-post the Windows/OSS equivalency chart?