[school-discuss] The Windows/Linux equivalency table

Here's the table of Windows/Linux application equivalencies (posted to
OS:N on December 31, 2001), plus some updates that were suggested later:

Application         Windows program       OSS/Linux equivalent(s)
Word processing:    Microsoft Word        AbiWord, KOffice, StarOffice
Web browsing:       Internet Explorer     Konqueror, Mozilla, Galeon
Spreadsheets:       Microsoft Excel       Gnumeric, KOffice, StarOffice
Graphics:           Adobe Photoshop       The GIMP
Web design:         Allaire HomeSite      Glimmer
Web sharing:        Microsoft IIS         Apache
Groupware PIM¹:     Microsoft Outlook     Evolution, PHP Groupware
Security:           Fortres               (no extra software needed)
System updates²:    Windows Update        Red Hat Network, apt-get
Slide presentation: Microsoft PowerPoint  KPresenter, StarOffice

1 Nobody at my school actually uses a groupware PIM, but they should.
2 For obvious reasons, my school should regularly update their systems,
  but nobody ever does.

It was later brought up that specifically educational software is not
yet as widely available on Linux as Windows or Macintosh, but it seems
to me that some progress has been made there.  However, I don't see any
Linux products yet that are at the level of Windows games (e.g. "Reader
Rabbit" and "Carmen Sandiego")

BMan also mentioned that Fortres was broken at his school 3 days after
it was introduced.  I never said it was any good (I had to break it
myself once because it was denying everyone access to everything), I
just said that it is used.