Re: [school-discuss] SoundTracker

Quoting mikee <meschman@engima.com>:

OK, that is good to know. SoundTracker (which is open source (I
believe) and certainly available for free download) produces .xm and
.mod files, which seem to be pretty common in the "free music"
scene. It can use .wav samples. I don't know enough about digital
music to know where the free music scene fits into the larger scheme
of things.
I've got a couple of questions:

Are .xm and .mod pretty much Linux-only formats?

Are the terms 'tracker' and 'sequencer' synonymous?

Is Audacity the product that is closest to SoundTracker (ie, the
music tracking/sequencing program, as opposed to timidity which
creates samples)?

Is anyone aware of any tutorials/teaching resources (suitable for
upper primary or secondary level students ... 4 - 12) based on
tracking/sequencing programs (open source or not at this stage)?

Thanks
Michael Hall

> hello,
>
> timidity and audacity, both open source and available for free
> download,
> fill the same function as soundtracker, but for the ubiquitous
.wav,
> .mid
> (midi), .au and .mp3 formats.
>
> you can create the .mid samples in timidity,
> then use the -Ow function to port it to .wav format.
> from .wav, you can construct audio cds (cdr format) or convert
> to .mp3.
>
> i think the issue with sound, is to create products in
> commonly used formats.
>
> btw, timidity is included in redhat 7.2 and, i think, suse.
>
> mike eschman, etc...
> "Not just an afterthought ...
> http://www.engima.com
>

> On Sunday 21 April 2002 08:04 am, you wrote:
> > I've been playing about with SoundTracker (www.soundtracker.org)

> which
> > is an open source application for creating music using samples.
This