[school-discuss] [Fwd: [seul-edu] Re: ISO]

Over on the seul-edu mailing list we've started planning for a new
project which we think will be very helpful in making Linux more
appealing to the schools we present it to: a CD-ROM image (ISO) of all
the useful educational applications we've found for Linux.  Our
current sequence for development is listed below.

The reason I'm writing is that the first two steps in this sequence
_really_ need the assistance of teachers and other educators in
addition to us interested techies.  We need to get some teachers to
look through the SEUL/edu Educational Applications Index
<http://richtech.ca/seul/> and pick the apps that look like good
candidates.  I _know_ there are a number of teachers reading this
message.  Step up!  You don't have to go over the entire list.  Just
pick your particular area of expertise and take a good look at the
apps in that category.  If some category doesn't get any volunteers,
we'll have to look at parceling those apps out to people willing to
look at them.

This is your chance to influence the course of the Linux in education
movement, folks!  Join us!

[1]
First, let's look through the entries in the Educational Applications
Index <http://richtech.ca/seul/> and identify candidates for inclusion
in the ISO.

[2]
Once we've identified candidate apps, people have to install and test
them.  This is where a fair amount of effort is involved.  This is
something that is best done by teachers or people who can have
teachers test it for them.  We want to find out what would actually be
useful in school, not what looks like a good idea to us but that
teachers wouldn't use.  After these tests we should have a list of
available, useful apps.

[3]
Then we need to package the apps.  There's a fair amound of effort
involved here, too, but this can probably be done by fewer, dedicated
people than the previous task.

[4]
After that we need to come up with an installer.  If the packages are
included with standard distros it should be up to the distro
manufacturers to add hooks to their various installers to add our
stuff; but if someone is downloading our ISO we should have some easy
to use installer as an integral part of it.  Matt Jezorek, what are
you using with Blue Linux?

[5]
Finally, we need to construct the ISO.  That should be fairly easy, I
think.  After that, we need to put it up for download, try to get
CheapBytes to carry it, and advocate it to all the distro people.

--
Doug Loss          As long as I have you there is just
drloss@suscom.net  one other thing I'll always need--