Re: [school-discuss] How to present Linux to schools

On Friday 26 April 2002 01:58, Kyle Hutson wrote:
> I have one parent in particular who asks me about this constantly,
> and I've told her so. (And I've also told her we use Corel because
> the price is ~$5000/yr whereas MS is ~$21000/yr.)

Now, ask her if she's considered funding the difference. (-:

> I'm still going to
> push the use of OpenOffice for the simple reason that students could
> take home a CD and install it legally.

So could their parents for that matter. Promote it as the school campaigning
against software piracy and see if that strikes a chord.

Also put copies of Mozilla on the CD, explaining that it's to help fight
viruses because it's more secure than IE or Outlook. And make every CD with
Linux versions - it's not as if OO+Moz is going to chew up more than 1/4 of a
CD anyway. Might as well throw in source for each, and PuTTY as well (`for
secure access to the School's servers'), and anything else you can think of,
Python and a copy of PySol, CygWin maybe. Stealth education in truly useful
tools. Not many will use it, but those that do... (-:

Cheers; Leon