Re: [school-discuss] District DNA Getting Started Guide

My concentration now is functionality. I have been writing this kind of
software for 20+ years in small districts up to the size of Washington D.C.
public schools. We keep starting over in this business. My first package was
in Pascal, then I wrote one in the Progress 4GL and now this. Each time I
had to recode old functionality (basic grades, attendance, scheduling) over
again just to get back to where I was. This is largely designed so that the
database (backend), processing logic (middle) and user interface (front end)
are separate. Hopefully nothing will have to be re-written from scratch
again. All that might be required is a new user interface as technology
changes.

Even with all this does (and I'm not aware of even any commercial packages
that do as much) it does less than 50% of what a large district needs to do
(even if they don't know it). I'm working to provide that because that is
what I want to do; improve education by improving the usability and flow of
information.

I'm hoping that others will add a different user interface (DNA has a single
form outlook type, Mass Sped is multi-form) such as web, Linux, small school
etc. to it. It is clearly more than I can do myself and still move forward.

As far as OpenOffice goes I do not know anything about it, but I would be
happy to look at that or any other spell checking system. I just wasn't go
to spend my time writing one.

Jim Smyth