Re: [school-discuss] Proposal for Schoolforge

Hey Everyone,

I like David's idea of bringing together people that are all interested
in working on advocating the use of Open Source software in education.
What David has written up is a good place to start but I don't think it
addresses a key issue right now in the Open Source for education
community. This issue is how we can best support and share resources
between local SchoolForge groups and SchoolForge members. I have taken a
lot of my time browsing the web for websites that would be of interest
to people considering to use Linux and Open Source software in
education. Most of this browsing was to find links for the Linux In
Education Portal (http://www.linuxineducation.org). What I found was
that people were duplicating each others efforts and that it was so hard
to find information. It would be a nightmare for an Administrator of a
school or school district to try and find what they need to make a good
decision.

What I am looking at is having some way that people can share the
resources that others have taken the time to produce. These resources
include anything from lesson plans used to teach computer classes with
Open Source tools to financial documents that detail how much money they
have saved using Linux to writing up HOWTOs for common Linux and Open
Source based computer setups. I would like people to know about the
Linux In Education Portal because it is so good for people just starting
out looking at using Linux and I am sure that other people have taken
their time to produce some meaningful product that the Open Source in
education community can use. How can we get this information out to
people, how do we share information between SchoolForge groups? Isn't
this one of the purposes of SchoolForge to be an organization that
facilities the sharing of resources...what is SchoolForge doing to make
this happen? Are we looking for new ideas?

Regards :),
Jonathan Hughes

--
Jonathan Hughes <declaretruth@yahoo.com>
Message digitally signed for security. Signature.asc is the digital