[school-discuss] Fwd: RE: Gutenberg radio

Subject: RE: Gutenberg radio
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 15:12:18 +1000
From: "Lane, Bernard" <laneb@theaustralian.com.au>
To: 'Mike Eschman' <meschman@etc-edu.com>

Dear Mike,

Short article and editorial below --- Regards, Bernard Lane. Doesn't
seem to be online yet, will send you the link if it appears.

The Australian WED 30 APR 2003, Page 008

Books talk on the web

By: Bernard Lane

WHAT a surprise to hear Captain Nemo resurface on the internet, courtesy
of Radio Gutenberg, where fine old writing meets the geeks.

A multimedia company in New Orleans has begun free web broadcasts of
classic books from the online library of Project Gutenberg, an
idealistic venture named after the father of modern printing.

Captain Nemo, in Jules Verne's 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, can be
heard in streamed stereo by tuning your computer and media player to
Radio Gutenberg at www.etc-edu.com/.

On the mono channel this week is Edward Gibbon's long-scribbled history
of the rise and fall of the Roman empire.

Other audio books could be plucked from the library, marked up and fed
through the digital voice machine on request, said Mike Eschman, of
Enigma Technologies Corp, which hosts Radio Gutenberg.

He offered as an inspirational example a Gutenberg volunteer, ``Ann in
Michigan'', who had ``spurred us to make an audio reading of `The
Unwilling Vestal,' an exciting and sexy pot-boiler about ancient Rome
that gives an unusually clear and precise view of the life of the vestal
virgins''.

At this stage the digital narrator's voice is rather robotic and book
downloads can take a while.

But one commentator on the Slashdot technology news site in the US had a
more basic objection: ``Does anyone find it weird that they're using
Gutenberg in a phrase related to sound, not sight? Gutenberg helped end
the need for everything to be said.''

The newspaper also ran a short editorial ...

The Australian  WED 30 APR 2003, Page 012

Internet offers a creative chaos

IN some circles, it is still fashionable to dismiss the internet as a
jungle thick with trivia, porn stars and scam emails from Nigeria.
There's plenty of this, it's true. But there's plenty of everything
online and more of it every day. That's the real story.

As publishers let fine titles go out of print, as libraries turf out
books they can no longer house, the net keeps extending its catholic
embrace of every imaginable human interest, from the banal to the
sublime. In its short, chaotic history the net has always been a good
place for those who are intelligent, cultured and idealistic. They're
well aware of the shortcomings of the net, but they don't make the
mistake of ignoring the many virtues of what is a revolutionary form of
social communication.
Take Project Gutenberg, based in the US, which predates the net but
makes public-spirited use of it. Volunteers can ``adopt'' a Beethoven
string quartet, thereby helping PG make music freely available online as
it has done with out-of-copyright books. These books are not just
well-known texts from the western canon but include almost forgotten
Australian curiosities such as EJ Banfield's Confessions of A Beachcomber.

Now Radio Gutenberg has come on the air, thanks to a collaboration with
a multi-media company based in New Orleans, US. With a computer and
standard software, you can listen to a streamed broadcast of selected
titles -- Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, for example --
or download them as MP3 files. True, the downloads are biggish and slow,
and the digitised narrator is no mellifluous Jeremy Irons. But
enterprises such as Radio Gutenberg hint at the promising convergence of
advances in computer hardware, software, and broadband.

Thanks to the internet, never before have so many of the fruits of human
creativity been available so immediately and inexpensively. But because
people also need information that is edited, authoritative, and
non-chaotic, it will thrive alongside, not at the expense of,
traditional media such as newspapers.