RE: [school-discuss] LTSP First Time - why not net-boot?

Well I'm currently looking into it ... but I'd still sway towards a beast of
a server. There's only going to be one server, so I'd rather it out
performed it's requirements than it proved to be about as useful to the
school as a bowl of custard.

I'd possibly consider downgrading it to a single processor, possibly and AMD
(maybe an A64 for the extra "ummph") and that would definitely free up some
cash for the network modifications.

As it stands there are currently two 24port switches on the network - one is
all 100Lan and the other is all 10Lan (the machines are capable of 100, but
the switch is useless)

It would make sense to have the one copy of the games remotely on the
server, but as soon as 4/5 people start playing the network could well slow
to a crawl as it transfers the 3/400 megs required for the game to play. not
to mention the RAM in the clients would have to be able to hold it all ...
so I could be looking at upping the clients to a gig of RAM each?

Plus, it's very likely that there'll be some multimedia elements used ... I
can't be certain, but I can't leave them with no choice but not to use it
you know?

Daniel