Re: [school-discuss] Disclaimer language for The Open CD

Aaron Tyo-Dickerson a écrit :
A local school district here in rural Upstate New York is interested in
distributing copies of The Open CD to students and community members,
but is concerned about "liability" issues. While I personally think that
free, open-source software is a terrific thing and understand the
implied "take it as it is" terms of the GPL and other legalese, I
understand the district's desire to head off any a) demands for "service
and support" and b) complaints that "that free stuff you gave me crashed
my computer". They would like a concise, easy to understand (by lay
users) disclaimer for the CDs that they would be distributing.

I have checked The Open CD's website (http://www.theopencd.org) and
cannot find any language there that would seem to fit the bill, but have
thought that rather than invent a blurb of my own, I might appeal to
members of this list who have either done this sort of thing already or
else might know where to steer me for this. Thanks very much for any
:-)

Aaron Tyo-Dickerson

What do they do when "stuff I paid crashed my computer" ?

Sorry, that was easy....

For the other stuff, it is normally written in big capital letters in
the GPL licence, in the section "NO WARRANTY"

"THE ENTIRE RISK AS
TO THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE PROGRAM IS WITH YOU."

But, so does all the proprietary software, except if you pay a big big
load of cash for guaranteed 24h/7 support, isn't it ? I don't think any
school ever does pay that kind of support warranty.
--
Benoit St-André
ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx