Re: [school-discuss] Bouncing ideas around

On Tue, 2006-04-04 at 13:30 -0700, Justin wrote:
> I've been reading this list for a few months and recently it has been
> pretty interesting.  First time posting.  I'm just going to toss a
> bunch of ideas out here - I'm sure much of this is already covered
> somewhere, and I just haven't found it.  I would appreciate all
> feedback, critical is great too, as long as it helps develop ideas :)

Your ideas are very interesting Justin, and well worth discussing.
There's another idea that needs discussing first, though.

SchoolForge as an organization has been basically moribund for sometime
now.  The ones of us who started it initially have dispersed, to other
interests or just out into the ether.  I keep the mailing list running,
but I don't think anyone is really maintaining the website, the
AppIndex, or any of the other parts of the system.  This is a sad state
of affairs.

I freely admit some culpability here.  When we started talking about
Linux and free software in education, quite a few years ago, I was
something of a sparkplug for things.  But you all have gone
significantly beyond my level of competence in the field of education
with your collective work on fostering the use of free and open source
software in schools.  In addition, I found that I had pretty much burned
out while trying to keep up with everything that was happening around
the world in the educational/free software arena.

I would very much like to see SchoolForge be revitalized and made into a
valuable resource for educators world-wide.  To that end, I'd like to
pass the torch to some of you, who have the knowledge, the interest, and
the enthusiasm to make this project what it was intended to be (or to
take it in a new more useful direction).  If any of you are interested
in taking on this responsibility and receiving the awesome fame and
prestige that goes with it :), either speak up here (preferably) or
email me directly and we'll see what we can do.

I'd like to thank Les Richardson, David Bucknell, Felipe Bergo, Karl
Pena, and everyone else who helped get SchoolForge started.  I hope it
will have a long and useful future!

--
Doug Loss              Unquestionably, there is progress.
drloss@xxxxxxxxxx      The average American pays out twice