Re: [school-discuss] first programming language

On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 11:15:49PM +1000, Richard Andrews wrote:
> Note: I'm not a teacher - I'm a software engineer.
>
> Python.

Once upon a time I had it in my mind to make a book on programming
for kids in the 8-12 yo range, similar to "Atari BASIC: A Self Teaching Guide"
that I had as a kid.  (It covered the basics (no pun) and had an unoffensive
cartoon character guide you along the way.)

I asked Schoolforge and other lists what they thought would be a good
language, and all but about 3 people said Python.  Someone said Squeak.
I forget what the other suggestion was, at this point.

And yes, I'd love to write that book.  But (1) don't know Python, (2) don't
have time. :(

Yet. :)

--
-bill!