Re: [school-discuss] first programming language

If one is looking at Squeak and Scratch I would also recommend looking at Alice (there is a mini Alice built in to Squeak).

It would not surprise me if we did see a port of Scratch to Linux soon (I have no inside info but MIT also does the OLPC project which is Linux).

Another set of programs to look at are the mathematical packages such as Octave, R, Maxima.

As Gary Dunn points out one really needs to consider the intended outcome but the discussion has been informative (I wasn't aware of the graphical Python tools).
--
R. Rittenhouse